The world of miniatures and small figure collectibles has become more popular as more and more iconic movies and characters are made. If you’re a collector, and you’re looking at dolls and little figurines, you cannot miss the Precious Moments Figurines that was launched into the world in the 1970’s. There are some fun facts that will absolutely blow your mind as these dolls have become the classic gifts. With this becoming a growing brand, here are some facts that you may not have known about this figurine making company.
- When the first 3D figurines were created by the creator Sam Butcher, he made 21 of them and called his first collection ‘The Original 21’.The Precious Moments Company has grown leaps and bounds over the decades and now only 1 of those 21 collectibles is sold.
- All collectors don’t like only a piece of the whole set or settle for only part – they like to own the whole lot – that’s why they’re called collectors. But owning all 21 would be a pricy affair as you would have to source them from other websites and sellers.
- ‘God Loveth A Cheerful Giver’ became their most expensive doll sold on their site with it priced at $399.99. Compare this is to the single doll that is being sold out of the original 21 names ‘Love One Another’ priced at $25.
- Each figurine is marked at the bottom signifying the year it was made in. Many of these special markings also denote if they are special edition and it is these markings that help collectors in identifying the true worth of the doll. This process of marking the dolls in this way started in 1981.
- The creator was inspired by the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican and he decided to open the Precious Moments Park and Chapel in 1989. It features dozens of murals which are hand painted by the man himself depicting the doll characters in various classic stories from the Bible with the Old Testament being featured on the left, and the New Testament being featured on the right. All these murals are large scale murals that were painted by Sam.
- Over 2,500 figurines have been produced by the Company over the years with items that range from cake toppers to ornaments.
- The reason why they are considered to be collectibles is because only around 25 – 40 figurines are launched per collection and only 4 collections are launched in a year. You may think that this is quite a bit, but most of the figurines also get retired early and are never produced again, which makes each figurine produced a collectible item.
- A woman who was collecting these figurines for over 25 years had over 2000 of these dolls in her possession. After her death, her son donated these to a Cancer Organization and the estimated cost of these dolls is considered to be around $100,000.
- The collectible company also made special animated cartoons during Easter and Christmas holidays.
- 2016 marks the 35th anniversary of the Precious Moments Company and special figurines set was launched specifically for the members of its Collectors Club which was named ‘Reflections of blessings’.
A lot of these facts also pertain to many collectibles from many creators all over the world. Many items are made in a certain year or have a certain fault or even are created as Special Editions and it is these items that are the most popular or in demand. It is also these types of rare collectibles that command higher prices in the collector’s market.